Sunday, April 05, 2009

His flag flies half mast...

There is nothing that I can say, that Matt has not said on his blog this morning... so perhaps I will just copy and paste...

It is a sad day for my love... and I have to say, it makes me so sad to see him sooo sad.

“RIP 30D”
© Matt Allan

"I woke up this morning at around 5am and headed out with my trusty kit bag to take some photos of the sunrise. I’ve done this countless times before but this morning… well this morning has left me shattered.

I was in my own world merrily setting up by the waters edge, doing everything the way I had done on so many other occasions… just waiting for the light to give me my first shot of the beautiful morning colours when this punk walked up behind me with his fishing pole and tackle box in hand and scared the absolute shit out of me!

As a result, I turned… tripped on my tripod… fell on my ass and then much to my horror, watched as my tripod and camera tumbled ever so slowly and peacefully into the water lapping up onto the shore.

All the fisherman could do was chuckle as he continued his way along the beach, all I could do was weep with my old friend in my lap as I watched the lights go out forever.

So this is the last image that will ever come from my beloved Canon 30D. She has been a faithful companion over the years and I will miss her.

As a result, I have reducing EVERYTHING in my online store by 10% as I am now trying to bridge the gap between insurance and a replacement companion… a small comfort but I am sure this is what my trusty 30D would want me to do."


So... there you have it... There are some ass-holes out there. I know, perhaps the guy did not mean it to cause damage, though the least that he could have done was stop to see if Matt was okay. This guys does not realize what he has done... honestly.. who does something like that, in the dark when people obviously are not expecting it? He does not realize how lucky he is, for if it was me, I would have hunted the bastard down and given him a piece of my mind.. if not a good smack in the mouth as well.

As Matt has said, there is a gap in what our insurance will cover... a gap that is substantial enough for a family of 5 not to be able to financially cover... I know i am bias, as i should be, though when i say that he is a remarkable photographer, i am being modest. He has an online store, which he has placed many of his works, in different formats, for sale. He has reduced the prices of everything there in a hope that he will be able to bridge some of the gap with the profit made (which really, is not marked up much at all as it was).


We are hoping that a friend of his will assist by loaning out a spare camera so that he can keep his booking schedule. If you are a Melbourne local, looking for an awesome photographer for wedding or family photos, or a portfolio that you will honestly love.. please, drop him an email. He would love to be able to give you a quote.

As they say, the best advertisement is that of word of mouth, pass the word .. hopefully he will not be in mourning long.

xxxxx


6 comments:

Estivalia said...

that really sucks! what a jerk that guy was! >:(

I wish Matt is able to replace his camera soon, his work is amazing and breathtaking.

Miss cath said...

Oh Matt.

I am so sorry. I know just how devastated he would be feeling right now. I told Tony and he just said "its like getting his arm amputated".

I agree totally this guys photos rock! If you ever have the chance to sit for him I would grab the opportunity with both hands. Go and check out his work - you will be blown away

Danielle Sheehan said...

OMG, I cant beleive how much of a dickhead that guy is... didnt even stop or say sorry!! I cant beleive it.

Karma will hit him up I'm sure.
What a prick!

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

CreativeMe68 said...

OMG I am so disgusted in this guys total lack of respect for your hubby and his beloved camera...As a amatuer photographer myself, check out my photography blog http://creativeme68-thefocusisonyou.blogspot.com/
I would be absolutely gutted if my camera and tripod was damaged!!! I will be off to check out Matt's photos...

Hopefully Matt will get a even better camera than he had before and be back taking photos really soon
Luv Shaz xoxo

Miriam's Blog said...

OMG Matt Nooooooooooooooooooooo
I just read this and I am totally gutted for you. What a cruel thing to do. I hope he never catches another fish again. I will pray that you are able to get a new camera in no time at all. I am just so sad for you.
Miriam. :(
P.S.
I am so sorry we have been out of touch lately guys we are just so snowed under with house crap ATM.

Anonymous said...

ohh poor matt im sure he is devastated some cameras are like our babies ( very precious)!!